"Declare ye among the nations, and publish, and set up a standard." Jeremiah 50:2


Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Growing Up or Growing Cold

A thermometer is an interesting object. If the temperature is 70 degrees and it rises to 80 degrees a thermometer must pass through degrees 71 through 79 before it reaches its destination. It does not automatically jump from 70 to 80, even though it may seem like it sometimes. The same goes with a clock. If the clock reads 7 o'clock it must pass through every minute on the clock to get to 8 o'clock. Time may fly when you're having fun, but every minute must be counted for. The same goes with a compass and each of its degrees or an elevator and each floor of a building. There are no shortcuts to be had.

The life of a Christian is the same as a thermometer, clock, compass, or an elevator. If we are to grow and mature in our walk with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, we must grow one step at a time. We do not automatically become a grown-up Christian. Isaiah 28:9-10 says, "Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts. For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little." In this instance the people of Judah were mocking Isaiah, because he was teaching the same truths and lessons over and over like you do with a child until, hopefully, they will learn and grow. The image presented here is that of a brick layer who must build his building one row of bricks at a time. Even though Isaiah was being mocked there is an important truth here. You only grow step by step. Sometimes those steps may be longer than others, but you still must put one foot in front of the other. The Apostle Paul put it this way, "Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus." God instructs us in His Word that we, too, are to move towards perfection. While that is not a reality in this sin-filled world, we are to strive for that. It is only done little by little, step by step.

I have to admit that I get frustrated in my own life. I want to grow up and be as mature of a Christian as possible, but there are times when I don't want to put forth the effort that is required to reach that goal. There are times when I don't want to read my Bible. There are times when I don't want to pray. There are times when I don't want to go to church. I know, though, that in order to grow in the Lord I must do those things. Sometimes it is a struggle and other times it is an all-out war raging between my flesh and my spirit. Each time that I win one of those battles I grow a little more Christ-like. Each time I overcome my flesh I am moving closer to perfection. It is hard at times, but it is worth it. I know that I must go through each stage of maturation, just like a thermometer must go through each degree and the clock must pass through each minute. Growing up comes in stages, not in leaps and bounds.

Likewise, growing cold towards the Lord is a process. It does not happen automatically for a saved person. Each time a Christian hardens his heart or quenches the leading of the Holy Spirit, he grows a little more colder towards God. Most Christians don't abruptly start missing church and quit reading their Bibles and praying. It usually happens over a course of time. When we lose those battles to the flesh it becomes easier to to give in the next time, and so on until we don't put forth any effort at all. Our hearts do not turn to granite overnight. Again, growing cold comes in stages, just like the thermometer, clock, or compass.

Each and every Christian is either growing up or growing cold. Are you pressing for the prize to be found in Christ Jesus, or are cooling off more and more each day. No one can say that they are at the point of full maturity in Christ, at least not in this life. We all must examine our hearts and determine what is taking place there. The hymnist wrote, "I'm pressing on the upward way, new heights I'm gaining every day." We must strive daily to gain those new heights. Are you gaining ground or are you losing it? Are you striving or skidding? Are you growing up or growing cold?

2 comments:

Tim A said...

David,
Don't you think that it is easier to get away and out of fellowship with God than it is to maintain fellowship with Him?
To me it always seems easier to do the wrong thing, than it is to do the right thing.
I liked the article. It was good thoughts. Good illustrations too.
Tim A. Blankenship

David Oates said...

Tim,
I agree whole-heartedly. The Christian life is a lot like a garden. It takes a lot of maintenance to keep it in good order, but weeds can overgrow it in a very short amount of time. Thanks for reading.

David